Sunday, June 12, 2005

Punctures, flights and a tikka massala

After much research on different vaccinations, I finally decided which ones to get: Hepatitis A, Hepatatis B , Rabies and Typhoid. (Note that all of these are on top of the recommended Polio, Tetanus and BGC immunisations that I have already had ... India doesn't ask for much, does she.) You'd think that having reached this decision, the only thing left to do would be to actually get the injections. Yes, I thought so too. However, the pharmacy at Boots decided to poke some fun, causing great amusement with the Rabies vaccination:

Nurse: Let me take the second dose from you, to keep it in the fridge for your next appointment.
Me: Were they meant to have been kept in the fridge?
Nurse: Yes, otherwise they're only 60% effective.
Me: I didn't keep them in the fridge.
Nurse: [PAUSE] Boots didn't tell you to?

No, Boots did not tell me to keep the £60 vaccinations in the fridge. The prospect of paying a further £60 and booking yet another appointment with the nurse was not appealing. Kicking up a big fuss at Boots, however, was. Unfortunately (well, fortunately really), they were very apologetic and quickly swapped the warm doses for their chilled equivalents. My hopes of a mini slanging match dashed, I finally got the injections (or "punctures" as my brother so aptly names them). Apparently, I am "one of those that bleed", and I was given two circular plasters to stem the flow - one of which my friend later confused with a nicotine patch. Not quite the sympathy-leading-to-a-free-drink that the nurse promised I would get. Two more on Monday, another two on Thursday and the final two out in India.

Checked my pigeon hole for post today, and was disappointed to find nothing that resembled flight tickets. On closer inspection, though, I found one of those very exciting cards telling you that something of importance is waiting behind the counter. Something that, today, had arrived by special delivery. Lo and behold, my flight tickets had arrived! An attractive cardboard wallet containing my cheque-book sized tickets. Lots of sheets of paper glued together on one side - I don't remember my Jersey flight tickets being this complicated. Must be an indication of a long journey.

I finished my day with one of Sainsbury's chicken tikka massala ready meals, in a poor attempt to bridge the gap from English to Indian food. Having failed to taste any flavour in the low-fat option, today I opted for the normal version. However, I think it must just be Sainsburys. This one was not particularly enticing either - long live Tesco, I say. Well, it was either a problem with Sainsburys or with my microwave heating skills. Perhaps I shouldn't assume it was the first.

5 Comments:

At 2:47 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay for the first round of jabs etc being done, and tickets turning up! You were actually looking forward to a slanging match though? :-S Fairs enough! As to the Sainsburys/Tesco debate, Sainsburys every time! Ready meals are perhaps not the best bet for a transition though, I suspect the lack of flavour is more to them being ready meals than anything else.

 
At 2:51 am, Blogger ladyinpink said...

Looking forward to a slanging match because of all the time I had wasted! And as for the ready meals - Tesco ready meals are always good!

 
At 1:42 am, Blogger ThePants999 said...

Pfffft. I *like* Sainsbury's tikka massala. :-P

 
At 4:17 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know I'm reading this and replying a bit l8, but I just thought I would back Sam up, Tesco rules!

 
At 1:52 pm, Blogger ladyinpink said...

Yeah, Tesco all the way! And Bugles too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home