Thursday, August 18, 2005

Memories, looking forward tos and thank yous

As I write this, I am in an internet cafe at the international terminal of New Delhi's airport. My journey in India will end in less than two hours, and I wanted to post my thoughts.

Memories

The roads. The roads, with their cows and their bulls, their monkeys and their donkeys, their spitting and their urinating, their dogs and their dirt and their beggars. And never, ever will I understand how Indians can be so pushy in their driving, yet have no otherwise concept of time! Pausing at a red light, waiting for the green go ahead, a counter will tick down to 0. The tension in the air could be cut with a knife, as motorcyclist upon motorcyclist moves into every spare gap, edging towards the start line. All have a foot a step ahead of legitimacy. Then WHAM!, the counter hits 0 - the motorcycle marathon begins. And God forbid you be crossing the road as this mob advances, for they will not halt for you. Unless, of course, you are the holy cow: India's ultimate traffic stopper. Ah yes, as a mere human being, I have no authority on India's streets. I do, however, have one small success: I managed to cross M.I. road. As one of Jaipur's busiest roads, I think I did quite well to escape with nothing worse than a small heart flutter.

Michelle. Coming home to her and chatting (or moaning!) about our days. Late night conversations about the men in our lives. Grumbling together when we had to wake up far sooner than we'd have liked to. Shopping in the bazaars (markets). Sharing good chocoate cake or a Smokin' Joes pizza. Getting ready together for parties and trainee dinners. Her calming reassurance that I did look ok!

Indian food. The breads - chapatis, rotis and parathas. Yellow dahl - a thick lentil stew that is dipped into for added flavour (it's delicious). Shahi paneer and paneer butter masala. Paneer, I am told, is cottage cheese, but I still refuse to believe this. It both tastes and looks like a chicken substitute, and comes cubed in curries. Ladyfinger vegetables, in the delicious sauce that Divya, my landlady, made them in. Jeera aloo and aloo tamator - potato curries (which formed my staple diet for quite some time).

The man in the art shop who bought my Mirinda Orange, and "mmmm-hmmmed" whenever I asked for something - regardless of whether he actually had it. Sumer Singh, my rickshaw driver, who told me to pay him "as I liked". How he told us that we were his children. His daily greeting of good morning when he took me to work, and his comment that he had "big experience" as a rickshaw driver.

The sweet man in the Barista cafe, an airconditioned Western haven, who grew to know my name and my regular order. (That would be a cup of Earl Grey tea and a slice of warmed chocolate cake.) The men in my most frequented bangle shop, who automatically knocked 10% off my bill (I bargained on the grounds of being a poor student). The man in the bakery who told me his life story on just our first meeting. My colleagues - Samidha, who always winked and gave a sweet laugh when I smiled at her, and who invited me into her home to cook dinner for me. Prayanka, who asked me to help her write a love letter. Anuj, who insisted on calling me over with a "hey lady!" greeting, thinking that he was being polite.

Looking forward tos

Watching Friends on the plane. Reading my goodbye book. The first glimpse of my family at the airport. The car journey to Northampton. Home cooked dinner, and MEAT! My lilac carpet. Making a photo album of India. Having unlimited internet access. Giving my presents to everybody. My birthday. Cold enough weather to wear my pink coat again. Oxford. Oxford at night. Oxford in the snow. My friends. Hot chocolate and real chocolate cake!

Thank yous

To my parents, for letting go of me and for giving so much. To my brother, for all our early morning MSN conversations. To my Gran, for such thoughtful postcards. To Will, for your ceaseless encouragement. To Chris, for your sweet email, and your promise of pizza. To Gemma, for keeping me sane with your wicked sense of humour! To Jan, for never failing to post frequent and thoughtful comments. To Hiba, for missing me so much.

To Divya, for taking care of me when I was sick. To the trainees in AIESEC Jaipur: Tessa, for your never ending good nature and your giggles. Cristina, for such faithful friendship, and for telling me to do nothing I'd regret - particularly if not doing something would form a regret! To Michelle, for being the most wonderful room mate. To Siri, for folding all of my shawls for me. To Hal, for your incredible laugh. To Patrick, for always being so friendly. To Owen, for taking such great photos. To Yvo, for a wonderful last conversation. To the AIESECers: Ankit, for always greeting me with a kiss - the "UK way"! Ankur, for always saying hello to me. To Godof, for pulling my hair and pretending it wasn't you. Sahil, for your email (!), and the lift to Geoffreys that drunken night. To Gautam, for the beautiful flowers. To Ajit, for our conversation about missing people, and for letting the boys drop me off yesterday. To Tabs, for your sweet smile, and for pretending the train was moving! To Himanshu, for always being late, and for simply being you.

I cried for you all when I left Jaipur: I feel so privileged to have met so many special people.

And finally, to my unknown blog followers, for being such loyal readers. Thank you for the 1000 hits ... thank you for listening.

3 Comments:

At 12:59 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So very, very proud. xx

 
At 2:07 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done Sam, you have achieved so much; you have been so privileged to have seen what you have seen and be able to touch the lives of so many, those who’s lives you have touched have been so privileged to have been given the opportunity to meet such a beautiful and articulate young lady. Thank you for allowing us to join in your success.

All our love

Jan, Mike & Co

P.S. When’s the book out?

 
At 2:31 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've known you for basically a quarter of my life now (how strange it is to say that) and you never cease to amaze me with your resourcefulness and determination. It's great to have you back. Love,
Matthew x

 

Post a Comment

<< Home